Sunday, June 8, 2014

When it rains

Got a glimpse of the sun at sunrise and that was the last I saw of it for the remainder of the day. Had breakfast at my coaches restaurant in Ashland City Tennessee. Nothing like some home style cooking from Sunrise Café. As I was finishing up breakfast the rain started up again and I was reminded of the hole in my rain gear that was burnt out by Cindy’s pipes. Get in line ladies, I cook, I clean, I build things, fix things, and Apparently am quite the Seamstress… or tailor. It only took me a whole hour, and a neck cramp, to sew on a piece of buffalo hide over the hole in my pants.



On the way out ran a few work errands in Nashville and hit the road around noon. By this time it was coming down hard and I had a 180 miles to book it to make it to a Muay Thai class at 6:30 in Knoxville TN. Whatever part of the body was exposed (in this case my hands) felt like it was being pelted with tiny razor blades at 70 MPH. My helmet is an open face, and I wear goggles and face protection. Goggles kept fogging up and more than half the time I would guess as to where the road is based off of the taillights of the other vehicles. Passed a few cool places that I did not have time to pull into. There is the y-12 security complex and nuclear power plant. The plant is where the atomic bomb, that was dropped on Japan, was developed. The y-12 Security complex is one of the world’s largest and most secure nuclear waste storage facilities. Several waterfalls also whizzed by. I really wanted to stop by Ozone Falls just outside of Knoxville but was pressed for time.

Made it to KRU Knoxville and trained with the guys there. Coach Jeremy Harris taught and here is what we reviewed;

1. Warm Up – Started going up and down the mats with a series of kick combinations.

a. Rear kick, step through, rear kick (if you are orthodox it would be right kick, land forward, left kick).

b. Rear kick fake by stepping right foot forward to plant and left kick.

c. Rear kick fake (rotate hip and drag foot to imitate rear kick), step through and left kick.

d. Rear kick fake by hopping and landing a left kick simultaneously with right foot landing on the ground from the hop.

2. Combination partner drills

a. Offensive partner throws a jab, cross. Defensive partner shells up to take punches to the forearms. Try setting this up with several jab, cross, hook combinations. Once your jab, cross lands step/hop back and do a switch (when your left and right feet switch places lead and trailing). As you switch your jab hand (in a switch position would be your cross) goes straight in to the body. Works well if defensive partner throws a jab in return in which case you parry with your cross hand, switch and cross to the body.

b. Same as above but from the parry rotate a bit more to return with a left shovel hook. Note that to land this you will need to be in closer range than the straight left, gauge your distance and step in on the parry to close the distance.

C. Same as above but from the parry left kick. You would parry with your right and essentially throw a switch kick.

D. Same as above but if you are too close for a kick, throw a switch knee.
3. Clinch Take down
A. Swim in for a single arm clinch. Right arm swims in and cups the crown of the head. Your left arm will grab over the inside of partners bicep. Hips come in close and your head is on the side of the hand grabbing the bicep (left). Bring your right knee to the inside of the right thigh of your partner. Simultaneously knee the inside of partner’s right thigh (just enough to lift its contact from the ground), lift your left elbow upwards (partner’s elbow is resting atop yours), and jerk with your right hand to the right. The object here is to get partner on a single axis on which to rotate and fall. The knee to the inside of the thigh breaks contact with the ground, making partner rely on one leg for balance. The lifting of your elbow tilts you partner in the intended direction, and the clinched hand pulls him to the right and downwards. There is no way the partner can remain standing.



Rode for a bit longer after class stopping by a full service Pilot station with a glorious shower. Staff knocked on my door several times to make sure I was ok, I just could not get out of that warm shower. Felt good to get all cleaned up before sleepy time. Day 2 made me realize how much work I have ahead of me. I was going to take back roads and stop by places to take in the scenery, but I feel it will end up costing too much time. I need to hit as many gyms, train, and spread the word about what it is that I am trying to accomplish. So I made the decision to rush through the start of the journey so I can better gauge my most valuable resource. That night was far better than the last, stayed warm and dry. Hung my hammock up at a rest area and slept for a few blissful hours. I didn't even have enough juice to take my gear off.



No comments:

Post a Comment