Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Home Sweet Home

I was planning to sleep in a bit but that did not happen. I went to sleep at 2 and was up at 5:30. The ride was really chilly. Even with the sun out I rode with all my gear on to stay warm. Crossing the St. Croix I remembered all of my trouble making days. Got into a bit of trouble in Stillwater and chuckled a little as I made it to the other side of the bridge landing myself in Minnesota.

Pulling up to town I swung by a bike shop and picked up the parts I needed to repair Cindy and get her oil changed. The shop had 2 high school classmates working the counter and it was a pleasant surprise to catch up with them. The early start got me to my sister’s house at 2:30 and I could not ask for a better way to spend my time than with family, especially my little nephew. He was a bit hesitant at first, a neighbor has a Harley and Daniel doesn’t like the noise it makes too much. I got off Cindy and took my gear off. He quickly got over his fear of my beard and was leading me by the hand all over the house giving me the tour. Found myself a comfy couch and he nestled in to read my nephew a book. I took my time memorizing his infant features. Time is ruthless and hurries the best of times into the past. 




It was nice to not take direction from Siri. My 18 years of residence imprinted the cities layout into my mind for good. Everywhere I turned there were bits of memories from yesteryears making their way up to the surface. Shot up HWY 65 to my parent’s place in Isanti where my brother and dad were waiting for me. It was just the guys that night. My brother was kind enough to give up his bed for me. The guy sleeps like a king, I have yet to run into a bed so large and soft as his. I was home, for the first time in a long while my brain shut down. It recognized the environment and remembered a day when I had no worries or responsibilities. A day when I was a child with parents who took care of everything. Why do we rush so quickly into adulthood? I find myself asking that question often. If I could visit my younger self I would tell him to slow down and enjoy it while it lasts.



No comments:

Post a Comment