Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Inspiration

The recent days have just been flying by. Between family and friends there had been no time to sit back and relax. Today wasn't going to be any different, but at least today we train!

Have been meaning to train with a family friend for quite some time and last time I was in the state it would not have been appropriate as I was here for his brother's funeral. I have little Vlad to thank for inspiring me to stop living for myself and give back more. Out of all the people I grew up with David is the only one that got into martial arts. It is rare that kids of conservative Slavic immigrants get into such things and I felt proud of David for getting in there and fighting hard. I grew up with these kids running around all over the place causing a ruckus. I used to call them the Little Chechens. To see David all grown up, tall and strong made me feel proud. I left Minnesota when he was a boy, I returned to find him a man.



Trained at Valhalla Combat Sports just north of Anoka. Coach James Clark led the class. We warmed up with some rounds on the bags and then did some sparring. James brought his son in to work on some boxing and asked that I spar with him a bit. I thoroughly enjoyed getting my butt handed to me by this little guy. Fast hands, amazing footwork, and fluid pivoting made me look like a chump. I especially liked the fallowing combination; jab, cross, hook, shovel hook. After the regular hook lands he sold a fake cross well and slipped in for that shovel hook. It was beautiful. The kid will go places. Got to spar with David and another friend that came with him. I had finally got my fighting fix and added more members to my fighting family. They referred me to a sister gym that had a champion Muay Thai instructor but I was short on time. Showered up and off to the next item on my to-do list.



Hurried off to my sisters house to have lunch with the best nephew, sister, brother, and mom in the world. Never spend as much time with them as I would like, something I need to work on. when i just came into town my nephew scolded me, my bike, and my bike gear waiving his finger at me and saying, "nuu nuu nu!" With all the goodbyes he couldn't help but get over his fear of Cindy and succumb to all of its features that make it so attractive to a little boy. He climbed up on the bike with me for a few pictures and his imitation of riding. 




Needed to hurry as a ominous cloud was moving in from beyond the horizon. Ran off to get some groceries to prepare for "Russian Banya Night". Those of you unaware of this tradition must find a way to experience it for yourself. The "banya" or sauna, isn't just a place, it is a conversation, laughs, health, friendship, and full stomach. Had several friends get together and we spent the evening eating, drinking, and being merry. My father was especially happy as the previous Banya Nights I organized ended in a majority of the people getting really intoxicated. I have since quit drinking and there was less drama this time and bigger smiles coming from pops. As people began to leave I could feel my eyes closing on me. The body starts to shut down after a good Banya. I don't even remember hitting the pillow. Must have been sleep walking into the house.




No comments:

Post a Comment