Thursday, June 26, 2014

Homeless

Needed to start the day off quick. Opened up my new parts and went at it replacing the headlight, foot peg, and turn signal. I was bound for Crepes at Vivace in NW 23rd neighborhood with two beautiful ladies Tahnee and Elle. If you are ever in Portland that street is well worth the visit. Cozy shops, restaurants, and lots of Portland weirdoes. Portland’s motto is “Keep Portland Weird”, and it makes for a very diverse atmosphere. The conversations flowed freely and I did more listening than talking. I usually do all the talking and it was nice to sit back and watch and listen to the interaction unfold. The dialog was passionate and filled with emotion and topics that were close to heart for the two of them. I just soaked it all in like a sponge.



Rushed off to train after a few days of stiff riding. Called ahead of time and made the introduction over the phone with Portland Thai Boxing. I was going to have a friend join me for a first ever Muay Thai session. The gym is in its own building and spacious. Large matted area in the main section and the rear has a full ring, and bathrooms and showers were in the mix as well.



Started with the basics, fighting stance, the rhythm, jab, cross, and a few kicks. We partnered up and did some free style pad work. We would pad holder would motion a kick and partner would check and check and return a switch kick landing forward and throwing a cross then hook. The class continued working several other combinations that included the fallowing;

1. Jab, cross, left hook, step out at a 45 degree on the lead leg to open hips for a rear kick to the leg or body.

2. Jab, cross, left hook, as the hook lands step to the left and inside of the opponents lead leg. Once your foot is planted throw a rear kick to the leg or body. If you are close reach in to clinch the neck and land a knee.

3. Jab, cross, left hook, as the hook lands fallowing stepping to the right. With your rear leg kick to the opponents thigh or to modify together with kick extend right hand to push opponent in opposite direction of your kick to sweep.


and Kru Ricky pulled aside my first timer and I to work a combination of our own. He padded up so he eat some kicks and had us throwing a lead inside leg kick, landing forward, cross, hook, right chop kick to the lead leg of the opponent.



Awesome group of guys here and I will definitely be back here when I move. In search of a gym to call home and glad the search started here.

Showered up and ran off to pick up My friend Tahnee to take on her first motorcycle riding experience ever! I was excited to show her the ropes. Half of the fun is leathering up for the ride and she had just the gear for it, and the tattoos that made her fit the part perfectly. Another visit to Latus in Gladstone, on the way out of the gym had to stop suddenly and slid uncontrollably. That was my cue to get some new tires to replace the bald ones that I had been riding on for the last stretch of the trip. We walked around and looked at all the shiny toys while Cindy was getting a new pair of stilettos. Got to see the excitement of a new Harley owner wheeling her new girl off the lot. Many happy miles and sunsets ahead of her no doubt. Randy also sat Tahnee on a Harley that anyone can ride. It was strapped in on a trailer and rear wheel raised to allow riders to get a feel for operating a bike. Tahnee was shifting through the gears like a pro in no time. Deep down inside I was hoping the seed had been planted. I need riding partners in my new home when I return.




With the new tires installed we rode off back to NW 23rd to Bamboo Sushi to continue the conversations started earlier that day, this time with another friend Katie joining us. I felt far more comfortable taking the corners with the new treads. I could feel Cindy sticking and not acting out like she was the previous few days. Food was delicious, company was amazing and dusk was on its way in. The weather was perfect for an evening ride and we met up with a biker couple. It was dark by now and we headed for the west hills. Skyline road is an amazing stretch of road just outside of Portland. One sharp turn would introduce you to the next one and before you know it you are just leaning from left to right without any straights. I would reach back and make sure my fun-size passenger was still on board. Riding is something else, and I was happy to have provided that experience for my friend. The warm and cool spots, the occasional spots where some flowers just bloomed, and smell of freshly cut grass, and so much more. The rush was short lived and we stopped by Papa Hyden’s before we split off in our separate ways to call it a night.




Just perfect, training, amazing souls, and a night ride with desert to cap it off. I cannot wait to move back.

No comments:

Post a Comment