Friday, June 20, 2014

I once was blind

Again early morning, I think you are beginning to notice a pattern here. It was a Sunday and a church day. I was reminded of how I felt as a kid about this day. It was laborious, the waking up, making sure your slacks and dress shirt were ironed and you looked presentable. I would find a comfortable seat on the last pew, rest my elbows on my knees and chin in my hands and sleep in church better that anywhere else. I was spiritually asleep as well, this re-awakening cannot come with a forced religious routine. I had years of shaking my fist at the man upstairs trying to prove to him that my way is possible. Like swimming against the current of a steady river I stayed in one spot. He kept handing me 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so many more chances and I swatted his offers away. Until I was in a complete dead end in all aspects of my life. I seek him now. So I sat attentively at the edge of my seat listening to what my father had to say. He is the best preacher I have ever heard. Many of you reading this will agree. When at the pulpit the man transforms into a fireball of charisma, passion, and genuine concern and caring for his flock.

Got to see some familiar faces after the service and went to a childhood friend’s house. The feeling of being so welcomed and seeing friends and family after being so absent for such a longtime is something you cannot duplicate. Almost worth staying away for such a long time… almost…

The rest of the day went in a similar manner, catching up with friends and family. Every moment of the day strategically planned to be used to the utmost efficiency. Riding around town I would glance over at fitness venues and feel like I was cheating myself for not training. I had one more day and I would be back at the gym training with a family friend the next day. Hurry up and sleep so I can wake up and get to what tomorrow has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment