Friday, June 6, 2014

First dawn

Impatience, sometimes its a good thing. I ended up leaving early and have quite the head start to the chase. Left Atlanta Wednesday morning in the direction of Cloudland Canyon in NW Georgia. For all of you Atlantans this is a perfect getaway that is about a 2 hour drive from the city. Epic views, breathtaking waterfalls, and easy camping. Add this to your list!


Despite signs that warned of staying on trails I veered off, typical me. Ended up getting a bit turned around but got to see some spots that most people don't go down to see. That and stretched my legs for a good 7 mile hike. About a week or so ago a friend of mine informed me of her reaction to Poison Ivy or Oak or whichever it was, and she taught me how to identify it. When I approach an area that had no way around it but through the nasty little plants I cringed and decided to run through it to save some time…. It was…. uneventful. Was kind of upset, I wanted to see what that hurt felt like. I ended up not getting any reaction to it and frolicked in it a little longer just because. 


Finally made it back to the main trails and stopped by the main falls on the way out. Water was really low but still a fantastic site and swim.



The hike ended up taking a bit longer than expected so I needed to book it to Nashville to get some sort of training in at Bonafyde MMA and Sidthilaw Muay Thai. This IS my favorite gym. Its all family under that roof and I wish I could live in Nashville for the sake of training here. Champions are made in that gym, and they helped me train for and win 3 of my own fights. Below are some links to more information on this beast making laboratory. There was no classes but I got to do some strength training and see my Black Russian Brotha Irv Jones and my Kitty Kat Katherine Booker. That was the icing on the cake. 



https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonafyde-MMASidthilaw-Muay-Thai/107186342749132

http://fight4jc.com/partners

Decided to camp out overnight on the Cumberland River near Ashland City. On the way in the skies were so lit by lighting i could have easily rode the 20 some miles with my headlights off. The moon stuck around with me as long as it could, until the clouds bullied it into hiding.



 Made it and set up camp just in time to enjoy the storm! First it was calm and you could only see the lightening. It was dead quiet except for the fish jumping in the river in anticipation of the storm. I couldn't even hear any frogs, everything that had any life out of water was in hiding. They new something I didn't. Though I knew but wanted to stick around anyways. Eventually the leaves started to rustle a bit and the cover on my bike slowly waltz this way and that. The clanking of branches, thunder, and a prop like flapping of the bike cover and tent added to the mix just before the rain. And then the rain, by this time its about 1 AM. I just started to fall asleep in all the calamity, it was actually kind of soothing, and then the dripping started. There was no escaping it. I ended up sort of escaping it in a small 1/8 section of a 1 person tent. Slept rolled up into the fetal position until 4:30 am. By this time the rain had stopped so I got up to stretch my legs. As I was about to get back in I heard a bird sing, and then another. Ahead of me in the distance I could see daylight struggling its way trough the storm clouds. I could go back in, I sat with Cindy and watched the fight. Night didn't stand a chance, and submitted after about a 2 hour struggle. Giving way to the magic of tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment