Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Moab; Love at First Sight



I ended up staying up a bit later than expected and slept passed my first alarm and woke up at the second one at 5:30 am. Tried to sneak out unnoticed but Claire (the Dane) growled up a storm that woke Leah up and she came down to see me off. It had already begun to light up outside and I was concerned that I was going to get fried on the road to Moab. The Sun rose directly ahead of me, and the temperature with it. I was again surrounded by the beautiful dessert with an occasional canyon that would curve the otherwise straight roads. The first of which was Virgin River Canyon. The massive bare rocks rose up from the dessert and nearly swallowed up the interstate. As I was riding through, the sun hit the walls of the canyon just right and the walls reflected the light in a pure gold color. It reminded me of a 1969 Western film Mackenna’s Gold. Greedy bandits had kidnapped an old Indian and forced him to lead them to a legendary canyon whose walls were lined with gold. Upon arriving to the canyon it was merely the light of the setting sun hitting the walls of the canyon. The bandits were furious but to the Natives the sight of the setting sun against the canyon walls was more precious than gold.



Several other canyons came up and the largest of which was probably Devil’s Canyon just before hitting Moab. I was eager to get to Moab but still pulled off into the viewpoint to snap a picture. As I was mounting back up a beautiful black horse caught my attention and I could not help but pet the amazing creature. I snapped a quick picture to show a friend who breeds and rides horses.




The turn off to Moab could not come soon enough. I messaged my host Tiara ahead of time to let her know of my arrival and ask where I could find a body of water. There was the Colorado River just before town that I was hurrying to get to. The sun had baked me as I chose to ride through the hours that it beat most direct. The landscape had still been fairly flat and I passed by an airport. “Skydive Moab” a sign read out front and I decided instantly that it would become part of my itinerary in the next few days. Just after the airport the road slanted downwards ever so slightly and as I dropped in elevation the red canyon walls rose up alongside me. My ear buds blared soundtracks from the Last of the Mohicans and Dances With the Wolves. The combination of the music and what lay before me gave birth to goose bumps that covered my entire body. The feeling was magnificent.  The bottom ¾ of the walls consisted of scattered rocks and boulders and the last ¼, which was about 150-200 feet, was a solid rock wall. I could not believe how gorgeous it was and with every mile it got better. The walls of the canyon narrowed the closer I got into to town until they were wide enough to encase just the road and the river. Agh the river, I pulled over and asked several young girls that were just leaving from a swim where I could jump in. They pointed at the opposite shore informing me of a rock just at the other side of the bridge. Before they waived goodbye they asked if I had any cigarettes. “I don’t smoke!” I hollered at them, thinking that even if I did I wouldn’t give you any, they had clearly all been under 18.



I parked Cindy on a spot that looked like a base to an old bridge. The base had a straight drop to the water about 10’ below and made for a perfect place to jump in. I made sure my wallet and phone were not in my pockets and didn’t care to undress for the leap. Jump, air, then water with a splash. It felt so refreshing after riding in the mid-day sun. My cloths allowed for the fast moving current to pull me harder than it would have if I undressed and I had to hurry back to the shore. In the several seconds after the jump I was downstream about 40 feet or so, it was fast and murky. I made a note to myself to Google how many people had drowned in that part of the river. The wet cloths kept me cool for a while longer as I mounted back up and rode to the other side of the river to Lions Park to the fresh water well to wash up. The climb out of the riverbank had thick soft sand and when trying to raise one leg the other would sink in to the knee from the weight. This had caked my jeans in a layer of sand and river silt and I was glad that there was fresh running water. I washed all of my cloths and thought of changing into clean ones but ended up washing the clothes once more and putting it on wet. My system of air-conditioning was flawless. I was unaffected by the blistering sun.



Downtown Moab was only about a mile away and I pulled up to a Café to catch up on some work, as my hostess would only be available in a few hours. I had been neglecting my writing and work with all the miles that I was trying to travel so the time spent there was extremely productive. Before I knew it the time was 6:20 and I was to meet up with Tiara at 6:30 for a friends birthday party just one block away. The ride was quick and the streets were lined with storefronts that tourists were peaking through. A spa, art gallery, restaurants, coffee shops, and tour companies were among the continuous string of establishments. I parked and walked up to the outdoor patio of Eddy McStiff’s. I told the hostess I was waiting for someone and she asked if I needed any water, I declined. I sat for a minute or two and the hostess returned with a glass of water and a smile. “You look like you need it”, she said as she set the glass down. I guess my face had “I just rode 470 miles through the dessert” written on it. I wasn’t going to fool anyone. The condensation from the side of the glass collected on my fingertips as I tilted it back and the ice rolled down to stop at my face. The hostess looked at me with an “I told you so” look on her face. Within a few minutes Tiara pulled up and I examined carefully, as this was the first time I had met her, prior to this it was a few FB messages back an forth. When I was sure it was she I caught up and greeted her just before she went through the entrance door.



The birthday girl was a South African friend of hers, Zinzi, who was turning 30. Culturally 30 is a big deal for South Africans, like a golden birthday if you will. When she finally arrived she was glowing with energy and happiness. I couldn’t help myself and joined up in the celebrations as if I was one of their own. All of the guests were bronzed from being in the sun all the time. A majority of them worked outdoors doing something physical, the rest indoors but all tied into the booming tourist industry that is present during the spring, summer, and fall months. The only one was a Persian gentleman by the name of Amir, who was an engineer at a mine just outside of town. But he did not stand out and was as happy and energetic as the rest. I shared with everyone who I was and what I was doing and Zinzi’s eyes lit up at the mention of the motorcycle… I mean Cindy, sorry Cindy. I gladly offered her a celebratory ride around town; it was the least contribution I could make to her special day. As the party died down we mounted up and buzzed up to the Colorado River and back. The whole way I could feel smile warming the back of my head. I again was glad I could share a little piece of what I had been experiencing these last few weeks from atop my iron horse. I dropped her off with some hugs and Birthday wishes and Tiara offered to head upriver to a place where there were rapids and a perfect view of the night sky for some stargazing.



I unloaded the saddle bags and we only took the necessities, it felt good lightening up Cindy’s load. The ride up was dark and I had to ride slower than I would have liked to on the windy road that closely hugged the river on one side and the canyon walls on the other. It was a new road for me and the curves would hide the upcoming road in the darkness. The light from my headlight could not bend around the corner and I was not going to push Cindy with Tiara riding with me. The drops in the road would dip us into cooler temperatures and the climbs would warm us back up again. This stretch of road was a bikers dream, and I couldn’t wait to let Cindy loose on it in the bright of day.



I put myself in the shoes of the campers whose fires lined the river. The quiet night with only the sound of the river and crackling fire would all of the sudden be disrupted by a nightrider. It would first be a distant echo that bounced along the canyon walls ahead of the source, and eventually the gargle of the pipes would rise in pitch. The twisting and turning road dictating the rise and fall of RPM’s as the iron horseman navigated his way through the canyon. The pitch would climax as he accelerated on the straightaway beside our campsite and drop tones as he began to distance himself from us.

We pulled up to the parking spot to the rapids and as soon as I shut the noisy engine off the deafening silence took its place. It was unreal and when I looked up at the blanket of stars above me my jaw dropped. Tiara said it was going to get even better as the sun had just set and complete darkness had not set in yet. We began to hike to the edge of the river where the rapids were and I asked Tiara to shut off the flashlight. I wanted to walk to the river with just the stars and the sliver of a moon shining on the ground before us. It was easy enough until we got to the rocks, they lost their shape in the darkness and where you thought them to be flat they were pitched and visa versa. We managed to make it to the rivers edge found a piece of driftwood to sit on. The water was turning just several feet away from us and I tried picturing the white water with no luck. I was reminded of a Russian saying that went, “There are three things that a person can never get tired of watching, a fire, water (like waves or the constant flow of a river), and another person working. The little twist at the end got me a chuckle from Tiara. I am always weary of telling Russian anecdotes in an English version, as some of the meaning is sometimes lost through translation.



We managed to make our way back with no light and picked out a spot to lay the blanket down. The spot was on the sloped bank of the river with smaller rocks that made it possible to lay comfortably on our backs exposing to the show that was directly above us. The only thing I could muster up was “Oh my GOD” as my head hit the slope and eyes made contact with the sky. Titling my head further back I could see the Milky Way ribbon itself across the sky further behind us. Throughout the night it kept closer and closer into our field of view and eventually we did not have to tilt our heads to see it. I was amazed at the amount of satellites buzzing this way and that across the sky. By the end of the night I had counted 17 of them and they had never traveled the same path. We also got lucky and saw about 7 shooting stars. Some were faint and brief while others lit up the sky bright and shot clear across the entire sky above us.

We spent several hours looking up into nothing and at the same time everything putting our size into perspective. We were something so small, part of something so big and wondrous. The little problems I though I had diminished into a fraction of a fraction of a fraction and I could not help but smile for being part of this wonderful universe.

The ride back was considerably cooler than coming in and my T-shirt could care less about keeping any heat inside of itself. I would shiver when the low spots would dip the temperature and tell myself to man up until the warm ones would re-appear on the climbs and once out of the canyon. What a perfect introduction to this magical place. Sometimes I wish I knew how to squeal, I would have right then and there out of excitement. When we got back we roughly planned out the next days activities. First we were going to… no no no, I wont spoil it for you. Just keep reading and you will know soon enough the adventures of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment